1 Step 1
A moving guide / checklist to get organised
Moving home is one of the most stressful life experiences. However, a little bit of forward planning can go a long way towards making your move as smooth as possible.
- A month before you move
- Two weeks before you move
- One week before you move
- The day before you move
- Your moving day
- Packing tips
- Book time off work if necessary.
- If you are living in rented accommodation give notice to your landlord.
- Have a clear out. Anything that you don't need should be recycled or given to charity.
- Obtain packing materials such as newspapers, tissue paper, boxes, cardboard, wrapping, padding and parcel tape.
- Contact your telephone and utility providers and tell them you're moving.
- Contact the removal firm with the final details.
- Arrange any parking suspensions if required. Otex-International can help you with this if you like.
- Start packing things you rarely use.
- Phone the telephone company and ask them to connect the phone in your new home.
- Arrange building insurance and contents insurance for your new home.
- Tell the local authority that you're moving.
- Pack everything except things that you will need between now and your move.
- Redirect your mail.
- Pay any outstanding bills.
- Use the checklist below to inform the right people and relevant authorities you are moving.
- Put important and valuable items, such as passports, birth certificate and jewellery, in a safe place.
- Obtain TV license for your new home.
- Finalise last minute packing.
- Pack a box of essential items, such as toilet paper, a torch, a kettle, teabags, coffee, mugs, spare bulbs etc.
- Defrost the fridge and freezer.
- Disconnect appliances.
- Check your utility suppliers have switched on your gas, electricity and phone in your new home.
- Clean the house.
- Leave a ‘welcome’ card for the people who have bought your house, along with a few local takeaway menus and any instructions they may need.
- Get a good nights rest!.
- Turn off electricity, gas and water supplies at the mains at your old address.
- Check all appliances are disconnected.
- Secure all windows and doors before heading to your new home.
- Label which boxes are for which rooms - this will make it easier to unpack and find essential items when you arrive in your new home.
- Label each box and write a brief summary on a separate sheet of paper as to what is in that box. This is especially useful if you don’t think you will be unpacking each box immediately after your move (for example; if there is limited storage space).
- Mark fragile items clearly so that these can usually be loaded in last.
- Take very fragile items with you in your car.
- If you're moving your belongings yourself, put one or two heavy items into each container so that they weigh roughly the same.
- Remember to keep essential items handy until the last minute - this may include a kettle, a couple of mugs, toilet paper, snacks, water etc.
When you move, it is important that you to remember to inform the following:
|Bank||Building Society||Insurance Companies|
|Charge Card Companies||Store Cards||Loan Providers|
|Credit Card Companies|
|Milk delivery||Paper delivery||Library|
|School, college etc||Gym, social club etc||DVD rental|
|Inland Revenue||Council Tax office||DVLA|
Utilities & Services
|Phone / Mobile Phone company||Royal Mail||Cable/Satellite company|
|Internet Service Provider||TV licensing|
|Publications/Subscriptions||Trade Unions||Professional Bodies|
|Local Councils||Moving Company|